My typical rule regarding sweets is that if there isn't any chocolate in it, then it's not worth it. However, I have to admit that poppyseed anything is pretty darn worth it. My biggest problem going vegan was the baking part of it. I love to bake and any vegan knows that baking vegan is kind of a science experiment. Luckily there are lovely people who have already titrated, reacted, diluted, and created a solution for us less than chemistry savvy people. Having said that, I am still amazed that I managed to grind my way to a chemistry minor in college!
I discovered the following lovely recipe by scrolling through various vegan blogs. This recipe hails from My Darling Vegan. I chose this recipe for its simplicity and I am so glad I did. These were fantastic! I decided against the glaze so as to have a slightly less sweet muffin but I bet the glaze makes it wonderful if you want it more treat like. I also didn't follow the instructions very well either. Apparently you are supposed to let the apple cider vinegar and soy milk sit for a bit to curdle…whoops! They were still great though.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp poppy seeds
½ cup + 2 tbsp granulated sugar
¼ cup + 1 tbsp canola oil
zest & juice of 1 lemon
1 cup soy milk- I used coconut milk
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
Lemon Glaze (optional for a sweeter muffin)
¾ cups powdered sugar
1+ tbsp fresh lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 357F. You can line a muffin tin or just spray it with some pam, that works too.
2. In a bowl, combine milk substitute with apple cider vinegar and let sit for 10 minutes.
3. In a separate bowl whisk sugar, canola oil, and fresh lemon juice and zest. Slowly add the apple cider milk mix and whisk until combined well. Add the remaining dry ingredients, folding gently until combined.
4. Fill muffin tins (makes about 12 muffins) and bake for 15-18 minutes.
5. While muffins cool after cooking, combine powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon about a tbsp onto each muffin and let them continue to cool. Once cool, eat.