As Autumn quickly descends upon us (there's already snow on the ground in Tahoe!), I find myself craving comfort: comfort foods, fuzzy blankets, fires in the fireplace, a good book, fluffy socks...you get the picture.
[Enter Grilled Cheese]
Just look at that beauty.
This cheesy, sandwich of your childhood has now been Vegan-ified! Yes that's right. Using the cheese sauce from our previous post, you can make fantastic grilled cheese sandwiches. Paired with a slightly spicy tomato soup? You've got your new favorite autumn mid-week comfort dinner.
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Sourdough loaf (or your favorite bread, not trying to tell you how to live your life)
Our Vegan Cheese Sauce
Vegan Butter (Earth Balance)
1 28oz can whole peeled tomatos
1 16oz can rotel
1/2 C sun dried tomatos
6 cloves garlic
3 med white onions
3Tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 C vegetable stock
handful fresh basil
3 sprigs fresh rosemary
2 Tbsp almond butter
2 Tbsp maple syrup
3/4 C whatever extra stale bread you have lying around
1. Chop onions and mince garlic. Saute with olive oil until onions are golden and the house smells divine.
2. Add all ingredients and simmer for 20 minutes.
3.Using immersion blender, blitz until smooth and creamy. Salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the sandwiches!
1. Butter one side of each slice of bread.
2. Lather on the cheesy goodness on the non buttered side. Combine.
3. Heat and oil nonstick flat pan and place sandwich on pan. Place heavy object (I used a stockpot full of cans of beans) on top of sandwich to smash sandwich down.
4. Cook each side about 7 minutes (depends on how hot your pan is). Cut into triangles and plate. Grab a bowl of tomato soup and enjoy!!