Here at Standard American Vegan, you aren't going to see too many dessert recipes. The truth is simple: none of us have good chocolate self control, and it's better for us to just not have sweets around. That being said, the holidays are the perfect time to concoct a sweet treat, throw caution to the wind, and enter willingly into the dreaded sugar coma.
These cupcakes were our Christmas Eve treat. They were honestly the best cupcakes I have ever had, and that being said, I could only eat a quarter of one because they were so rich and luscious. My vegan, vegetable munching taste buds were caught off guard! But if you're in the mood for something decadent, these are for you!
The recipe was taken out of the Where Women Cook magazine, and is from Audrey Dunham. Try these at your next celebration and leave a comment about what you think!
1tsp apple cider vinegar
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 tsp instant coffee
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa powder, plus 2 Tbsp
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup powdered sugar, divided
1 1/2 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk, divided
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Salted Double Chocolate Chip Frosting
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
2 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 Tbsp unsweetened almond milk, divided
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 cup cocoa powder , plus 2 Tbsp
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Coarse salt, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with paper liners. In a small bowl, combine apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together sugar, instant coffee, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Sift in cocoa and flour. Mix again.
3. Add vanilla, and melted shortening to apple cider vinegar and almond milk. Add half of liquid ingredients to dry. Mix until most flour has been incorporated. Then add remaining liquid ingredients to dry. Scrape down sides and mix again.
4. Scoop out 1/4 cup of batter into cupcake liners. Liners should be 1/2 to 2/3 full. Cook for 20-23 minutes. Allow cupcakes to cool before adding frosting or filling.
5. For Creme Filling, place shortening in mixing bowl and creme on high speed for 30 seconds or until smooth. Add 1/2 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 Tbsp of almond milk, and creme. Add remaining 1/2 c powdered sugar and 1/2 Tbsp almond milk, cream until fluffy and mixture resembles frosting.
6. For frosting, mix shortening until smooth. Add 1 cup powdered sugar, vanilla, and 2 Tbsp almond milk, and mix. Add another cup of powdered sugar and 2 Tbsp almond milk. Mix. Add remaining 1/4 cup powdered sugar and mix until fluffy. Add mini chips.
7. To assemble, add a small round tip to a piping bag or the corner of a ziplock bag. Fill with creme filling. Snip off 1/2 inch below tip of bag with scissors to create opening. Insert tip into the center of each cupcake and fill with a few tablespoons of filling.
8. Frost cupcakes, and garnish with additional mini chips and a pinch of salt. Enjoy!
Enjoy! And happy Veganuary!