This creation came out of a desire for something that tastes like it is super bad for you, but isn't. I also noticed that we had an awful lot of potatoes in the pantry and didn't want them to go bad so...potato casserole! Depending on your choice of vegan sausage, you can make this breakfast like or dinner like. I used an Italian flavored sausage one time which was delicious, and I used an apple maple sausage another time, which was also delicious! Sky's the limit!
Ingredients: Potato mixture
2 Tablespoons oil
1 Onion, diced
4 cups finely chopped potatoes
2 cloves garlic
2 Tablespoons parsley
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/3 cup water
3/4 cups diced vegan sausage (your choice of flavor)
1/3 cup veggie stock
1 tablespoon flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 -3/4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Wash and peel enough regular potatoes to get you about 4 cups once chopped. Dice potatoes pretty small (will bake faster if smaller).
3. Heat oil in a relatively large pot. Dice onions and garlic and add to oil along with the parsley and pepper flakes. Sauté for 5 minutes.
4. Add in your chopped up potatoes and about 1/3 cup of water. Cover and simmer until the potatoes are tender and water is mostly absorbed. (After 5 minutes, check the potatoes every few minutes to make sure you don't overdo it. There are two parts to cooking the potatoes and we don't want them to be mushy.).
5. Once you can poke a fork into the potatoes, crumble up your sausage into the potato mixture and stir to combine.
6. Add veggie stock, salt, and pepper and bring to a simmer then. Add flour, stir, then turn off heat and set aside to make cheesy sauce (ingredients and directions below.)
7. Put potatoes mixture into a casserole dish then pour cheesy sauce on top. Sprinkle top with breadcrumbs and bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes.
Ingredients: Cheesy sauce
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup softened cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. Blend up all ingredients in a food processor or other blender until mixture is smooth.
2. Go to step 7 of the potato mixture directions.